Your heart is vital to your health. That’s why it’s important to seek out a health system that offers world-class, award-winning cardiac care.
WellSpan’s expert teams offer the latest in lifesaving treatment, engage in leading-edge research that advances cardiac care, collaborate with others to develop the best techniques, and share them with physicians around the world.
At the heart of this high-tech treatment is compassion. WellSpan’s cardiac providers understand their patients – showing up at their bedside, offering personalized care, and going the extra mile for them and their families.
Here just five reasons why you should trust WellSpan to deliver your heart care:
WellSpan providers offer a variety of leading-edge treatments to repair hearts and save lives.
Here are just a handful of tools in their toolbox:
- The WellSpan Complex Coronary Program offers specialized treatment for patients who have a challenging mix of blocked vessels and complicated medical histories.
- Shockwave is innovative technology that uses sound waves to open severely calcified blockages in the heart.
- Ventricular assistance device (VAD) implants or mechanical heart pumps help patients to achieve rare milestones. WellSpan is one of only about 175 hospitals in the country that offer this treatment.
- A lifesaving treatment called extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) has saved the lives of hundreds of South Central Pennsylvania residents, thanks to a nationally recognized program at WellSpan York Hospital.
WellSpan cardiologists are experts in performing minimally invasive transcatheter aortic valve replacements (TAVR), where the aortic valve is replaced with a catheter inserted in the leg artery. Teams from WellSpan and UPMC collaboratively developed a new technique to deliver a new valve that has been adopted as “best practice” throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe. WellSpan’s experts have overseen physicians who are learning the technique in more than 20 states and broadcast live demonstrations to hospitals in the United States, Europe, and Scandinavia.
WellSpan cardiologists recently published a study on using a “gene-first” approach to determining the risk of developing a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy, which will help providers treat the condition in its early stages. A WellSpan team also published an article comparing ways to rule out blood clots in patients with irregular heartbeats. WellSpan participates in a wide variety of clinical trials, offering patients early access to new treatments and promoting the advancement of cardiac medicine.
WellSpan hospitals have been recognized for their heart care by the American Heart Association and won certifications and accreditations from the American College of Cardiology, the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, and The Joint Commission. The WellSpan VNA Home Care recently became only the third provider in the country to receive the American Heart Association’s Home Health Heart Failure certification.
- Compassionate, personalized care.
WellSpan providers consistently work to deliver care that is heartfelt and considers the whole person. A WellSpan team arranged a haircut and shave for a VAD patient from Texas and a birthday party for his wife during a long hospitalization away from home. Another team gave lifesaving care to a critically ill man, as well as supportive care to his family.
To learn more about WellSpan’s game-changing heart care, go here.
To join our leading-edge cardiac teams, go here.