In 2015 the Healthy York County Coalition conducted its seventh Community Health Needs Assessment since its establishment in 1994. The assessment, used to determine the Coalition’s priorities for the next three years, incorporates a three-pronged approach including a review of demographic and secondary data from the Pennsylvania Department of Health; implementation of a random telephone survey of 1,028 York County residents; and comparative health information provided by the annual County Health Rankings, a collaborative effort of the University of Wisconsin and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
The Coalition’s current priorities are healthy lifestyle (including physical activity, nutrition and sleep), adult depression and maternal/child health.
Throughout the past two decades volunteers of the Coalition have advocated for policy change, produced and distributed educational materials, and established programs and services that contribute to improving the health of our community.
Healthy York County Coalition Current Initiatives
Access & Empowerment Committee
- Developed two online videos that aid health & human service agency staff with answering client questions about the ACA Insurance Marketplace and Medicaid.
Depression Awareness Campaign
- In November 2014, Healthy York County Coalition (HYCC) and Healthy Adams County (HAC) launched a new Depression Awareness Campaign called Feeling Blue.
- The purpose of Feeling Blue is to increase the understanding and reduce the stigma of depression, share information on how to manage depressive symptoms and provide additional resources for individuals to help themselves and others. Site visitors can find tips, tools and other resources (in English and Spanish) to help deal with mild depression.
York County Walks – Taking Steps Toward better Health
- The coalition is joining the national walking movement to improve both the mental and physical health of York County residents.
- The purpose is to:
- Educate residents on the healthy benefits of walking.
- Promote York County’s walking opportunities.
- Advocate for improvements to increase walkability in the county.
Your Life – Your Wishes Task Force
- Conducting educational sessions to help community members understand advance care options, encourage family conversations and the sharing of advance directives.
- Volunteers will be available at various locations around the county to assist community members with advance directive documents.
- Contact the Healthy York County Coalition for more information regarding these free events.