Joint Replacement & Reconstruction
If your joint pain is standing in the way of your health goals, trust the Total Joint Replacement specialists of WellSpan Orthopedics to help you get back to doing what you enjoy.
At WellSpan, our joint care program has been designed to support best possible clinical outcomes. Our comprehensive approach is tailored to each patient’s individual needs and goals. Our team of fellowship trained surgeons and advanced practice clinicians are focused on returning our patients to their goal of a pain-free living as quickly and safely as possible.
Based on your lifestyle goals, we will work with you to develop a treatment plan to measurably improve your pain level and function. We begin with conservative treatment options. If satisfactory pain relief through nonsurgical means is not found, we consider if surgery is right for you.
If you're a candidate for joint replacement or reconstruction, you and your doctor will partner to set realistic post-surgical goals. You will be supported by a care coordinator who will help you navigate the process from start to finish and help to reduce your stress. They will help you coordinate testing, schedule appointments, set your surgery date, and plan pre- and post-surgery rehabilitation.
Here’s what you can expect as a WellSpan orthopedic patient:
- Highly experienced and professional physicians and staff. Our highly-skilled providers, including fellowship trained surgeons, physicians and therapists who specialize in orthopedic treatments. We use the latest advances in total joint care, making sure that you can get back on your feet to do the things you love.
- Compassionate care designed just for you. We customize a care plan that’s tailored to your individual health condition and lifestyle choices. Whatever your particular situation, you’ll receive state-of-the-art treatments coupled with a care philosophy that focuses on helping you achieve your goals.
- Relationship-based approach to care. The most important partnership in your care is between you and your doctor. At WellSpan, we work hard to build that relationship: listening closely and talking you through each step of your treatment plan.
We bring that same commitment to developing a strong relationship with the other people focused on getting you healthy – including other providers, therapists, community organizations and your family and friends. We build a truly comprehensive care team to support you through your treatment and recovery.
- WellSpan—practically just down the street. Because we’re your neighborhood healthcare provider, you won’t have to go far for initial appointments, treatment or follow-up visits.
- Surgical and nonsurgical options. We want to minimize the need for surgery as much as you do, so we’ll explore all of your nonsurgical options. But if surgery is necessary, our orthopedic surgeons have the expertise and equipment to perform simple to the most complex orthopedic procedures.
- The WellSpan continuum of care approach. We believe that your orthopedic care doesn’t begin or end in the hospital. It starts when you become a total joint patient. Our “continuum of care” approach guides, monitors and evaluates your pain and functionality levels before and after surgery. Progress toward your health goals is communicated to all of your caregivers— including your primary care physician, orthopedic surgeon, physical therapist and clinical support staff—to ensure everyone is aligned and working collaboratively toward your successful recovery.
- Ease of use. Our on-the-go resources help ensure you are prepared for surgery. Appointment reminders, educational videos and care planning are available 24/7 from your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Many joint replacements will last two decades or more. However, a small amount of joint replacements may need to be revised over time. If that happens, the failed replacement needs to be removed and a new replacement implanted. WellSpan Orthopedics joint revision surgeons undergo advanced training and are experts in performing these advanced surgical procedures.
The shoulder is the most flexible joint in your body and is made up of an intricate group of bones, muscles and tendons. We don’t think about them when all the components function properly. But, our quality of life suffers if our shoulders become injured or are damaged. WellSpan’s comprehensive approach to shoulder treatments brings together not just you and your physician, but also a range of care providers working together toward your recovery.
Knee problems can result from a lifetime of wear and tear or serious injury. Your WellSpan physician will be able to explain your particular situation and suggest treatments to help you get out of pain and back to your normal activities.
Your hips naturally provide great stability, but the constant pressure from carrying the body’s weight can make them vulnerable to damage over time. Fortunately, WellSpan Orthopedics physicians offer treatments designed to minimize hip pain and increase mobility.