At WellSpan Pulmonary Rehabilitation, a service of WellSpan York Hospital, we work as your partner in identifying the best way to live a full life within the limitations of emphysema, chronic bronchitis, asthma and other lung diseases.
The service combines respiratory training with exercise to help you prevent further infection, reduce the frequency of hospital admissions and live life to its fullest. You are taught to concentrate on the use of more efficient breathing techniques, life adjustment and proper respiratory hygiene. With WellSpan, you are choosing a partner who will guide, educate, coordinate and provide individualized care for you every step of the way.
A physician referral is required for your first appointment. Established patients may call
the office during business hours regarding their therapy schedule.
Starting the Program
You begin individual sessions designed specifically for your needs. You meet with a therapist two to three times each week for hourly sessions. The program consists of the following activities:
- Complete pulmonary function testing to determine the extent of your condition
- A comprehensive consultation/examination by a pulmonary physician or advanced practice clinician
- An interview with a pulmonary rehabilitation therapist to evaluate needs, develop a treatment plan and set individualized goals
- Pulmonary education and exercise
Through pulmonary education, you learn new breathing techniques and respiratory hygiene methods. You also learn energy conservation, work simplification and effective coughing and hydration techniques. The program is designed to help control your disease.
An exercise program is designed for your individual needs and includes:
- Exercise sessions including a warm-up and cool-down period
- Bicycle, walking and stair climbing exercises
- Activities to coordinate breathing with activities of daily living
All activities are performed while monitoring your vital signs. You are also given a daily
exercise prescription to follow at home.
- A final assessment and report to your primary care physician
- Referral to a support group for those with lung disease
- An optional repeat pulmonary function testing
- Optional follow-up visit with a pulmonary physician or advanced practice clinician