Located in historic Gettysburg, Pa., WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital has been serving the communities of Adams County and northern Maryland for 100 years.
WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital began providing patient care in 1921 as the Annie Warner Hospital. Today, it is a nationally recognized acute care community hospital providing patient-centered services and programs that feature highly skilled clinical staff, life-saving technology and modern facilities to address complex medical, surgical and emergency conditions.
On the heels of the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, John Warner, a Gettysburg building contractor who owned pastureland south of town, recognized the community’s urgent need for a permanent medical facility. With the support of other Gettysburg leaders, Warner donated six acres of land and $25,000 toward the establishment of a hospital, which would be a named in honor of Warner's wife, Annie. (Pictured are John and Annie Warner at the hospital’s groundbreaking on March 5, 1919).
We celebrate the hospital’s centennial and pay tribute to the thousands of remarkable physicians, nurses, support staff, and volunteers who have helped establish WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital as a trusted place of hope and healing for all.