WellSpan Health respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it. This policy explains our collection, use, and disclosure of information collected through WellSpan owned websites, co-branded websites, mobile applications and mobile optimized websites (collectively known as our “online platforms”).
As a user of any WellSpan online platforms, you take on certain risks and responsibilities. You also have the right to know how we protect your privacy and ensure your confidentiality and what you should expect from us. Your use of our online platforms indicates that you agree to this policy. If you do not agree to this policy, you may choose to not use the WellSpan online platforms.
We will make periodic changes to this policy. The most current version will be posted to the WellSpan website and will include a last modified date at the bottom of the page.
Information We Collect
We may collect your information in a variety of ways through your use of our online platforms, including when you visit or browse a website and its pages, subscribe to a newsletter, fill out a form, pay a medical bill, donate to our foundation, order a prescription or medical equipment, or in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our online platforms.
The type of information we collect varies and may include:
Personal information you provide to us, such as, but not limited to:
- Demographic information like name, email address, mailing address, date of birth, or phone number.
- Medical information, direct or inferred, related to requesting services, prescriptions, medical equipment or registering for classes or payment of your medical bills or requesting cost estimates or while scheduling an appointment.
- Financial information like credit card, banking information, or other information that you provide to us, or our authorized third-party payment processors, to make payments, donate to our foundation or make payment for other services.
- Personal interest information requested to customize or personalize services.
- Like many sites, we collect data to generate usage analytics. This data includes device and internet connection information, IP addresses, operating system information, browser type and version, and network connectivity information. We do not track your use of other websites or pages.
Use of Your Information
We use information that we collect about you, or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our online platforms and their contents to you and to improve design and functionality.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you have requested from us.
- To personalize your experience on the website and allow you to participate in our interactive features.
- To improve customer service.
- To send you newsletters for which you have subscribed.
- To communicate with you regarding class registrations, bills paid, donations made, products ordered, or services rendered to you through our online platforms.
- To process an application for employment, to volunteer or for an educational program.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide the information.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- In any other ways we may describe when you provide the information.
Disclosure of Your Information
WellSpan Health does not share personal information you provide to us through the website with anyone, for any reason, except:
- With our third-party vendors that distribute newsletters and other communications that you subscribe to on the online platforms regarding our products and services.
- With our third-party payment processors which assist us in processing your bill payment, your payment for classes that you have registered for, for making any donations to our foundation, or for any products you have ordered.
We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others. We may share generic aggregated demographic information, not linked to any personal information, regarding online visitors or users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.
To the extent you provide, or we collect your “protected health information” (as defined by HIPAA), we will only use or disclose such protected health information in accordance with our Notice of Privacy Practices.
We do reserve the right to disclose information, if required to do so by law or by a regulatory authority. We may also disclose information as part of an investigation or enforcement action relating to improper or illegal conduct in connection with our website.
The cookies we place are for storing information about your visit to our online platforms. Some cookies are "session" cookies and only last for the duration of your visit. Other cookies known as "persistent" cookies remain on your computer after the end of each session and store information helpful to your experience. Our website utilizes both session and persistent cookies. Every computer that accesses the website is assigned a different cookie.
Cookies do not retain any personal information or protected health information on your computer.
The cookies allow us to access information that we can then use to improve your browsing experience, such as providing you with customized pages based on your past viewing history on the website.
Most web browser software can be set to reject all cookies. If you reject our cookies or otherwise disable the cookie feature on your web browser, certain functions and conveniences of our website may not work properly.
Your Communication Choices
You may enroll in various services to receive information, typically via email, about WellSpan products or services.
You can unsubscribe to any email service at any time after registration by simply clicking on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email and follow the specified instructions to opt-out.
By creating a MyWellSpan account, you will be added to our mailing list to receive communications from us related to our products and services. In the event you do not wish to receive these communications from WellSpan, please change your communication preferences by editing your MyWellSpan communication profile.
Please note that we may use your information to communicate with you regarding products or services you have requested or purchased on the website or related to any transaction made on the website like paying your bills or donating. These “transactional” communications will not be subject to your “opt out.”
We have adopted reasonable data collection, storage, and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information.
For example, data exchanged between you and the online platforms, or our third-party service providers, is transmitted over an SSL secured communication channel and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures. That being said, and except as required by HIPAA, we do not make any representations or warranties of any kind related to the security of the website, any third-party site or payment processor’s site, or your information stored on the site. To the extent you provide us with protected health information through the website, we will protect and secure your “protected health information” in accordance with HIPAA’s requirements.
WellSpan maintains partnership relationships with other companies, not owned by or affiliated with WellSpan Health, to provide certain features and services using co-branded websites. Examples of these partnerships are employee recruitment, medical equipment sales, PatientWisdom and online urgent care. Information, including personally identifiable information, that you provide on one of these co-branded websites, may be shared with these third-party partners. Since these third parties will use your information in accordance with their own privacy practices, you should check their websites for information regarding their privacy policies.
Inherent Risk of Using the Internet
Despite our efforts to protect your personal information, there is always some risk that an unauthorized third party may find a way around our security systems or that transmissions of your information over the Internet may be intercepted, and you acknowledge these inherent risks before using the website.
COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act)
WellSpan does not provide content intended for children or knowingly collect personal information from children through the WellSpan online platforms (we define “children” as minors younger than 13). We do not knowingly allow children to communicate with us or use any of our online services. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us and we will work with you to address this issue.
Contacting WellSpan about this Policy
Updated December, 2019