WellSpan Health respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it. This policy explains our collection, use, and disclosure of information collected through WellSpan owned websites, co-branded websites, mobile applications and mobile optimized websites, including, but not limited to, WellSpan.org, MadelineRx.com, BowandButton.com, WellSpanEmployerServices.org, and JoinWellSpan.org (collectively known as “online platforms”).
As a user of any WellSpan online platform, you take on certain risks and responsibilities. You also have the right to know how we protect your privacy and ensure your confidentiality and what you should expect from us. Your use of our online platforms indicates that you agree to this policy. If you do not agree to this policy, you may choose to not use our online platforms.
We will make periodic changes to this policy. The most current version will be posted to the WellSpan website and will include a last modified date at the bottom of the page.
Information We Collect
We may collect your information in a variety of ways through your use of our online platforms, including when you visit or browse a website and its pages, subscribe to a newsletter, fill out a form, register for an event, pay a medical bill, donate to our foundation, order a prescription or medical equipment, or in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available.
The type of information we collect varies and may include:
Personal information you provide to us, such as, but not limited to:
- Demographic information like name, email address, mailing address, date of birth, or phone number.
- Medical information, direct or inferred, related to requesting services, prescriptions, medical equipment or registering for classes or payment of your medical bills or requesting cost estimates or while scheduling an appointment.
- Financial information like credit card, banking information, or other information that you provide to us, or our authorized third-party payment processors, to make payments, donate to our foundation or make a payment for other services.
- Personal interest information requested to customize or personalize services.
- Like many sites, we collect data to generate usage analytics. This data includes device and Internet connection information, operating system information, browser type and version, and network connectivity information. We do not track your use of other websites or pages.
- Device location data. WellSpan does not record or track your location data and will never share any locations information with third parties.
Use of Your Information
We use information that we collect about you, or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our online platforms and their contents to you and to improve design and functionality.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you have requested from us.
- To personalize your experience on the WellSpan online platforms and allow you to participate in our interactive features.
- To improve customer service.
- To send you newsletters for which you have subscribed.
- To communicate with you regarding class registrations, bills paid, donations made, products ordered, or services rendered to you through our online platforms.
- To process an application for employment, to volunteer or for an educational program.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide the information.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To monitor medical conditions, or general health and wellness, using electronic programs in which you have volunteered to self-report values in order to participate. Examples include blood pressure readings and blood glucose values.
- In any other ways we may describe when you provide the information.
Disclosure of Your Information
WellSpan Health does not share personal information you provide to us through the WellSpan online platforms with anyone, for any reason, except:
- With our third-party vendors that distribute newsletters and other communications that you subscribe to on the online platforms regarding our products and services.
- With our third-party payment processors which assist us in processing your bill payment, your payment for classes for which you have registered, for making donations to our foundation, or for any products you have ordered.
We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others. We may share generic aggregated demographic information, not linked to any personal information, regarding online visitors or users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.
To the extent you provide, or we collect your “protected health information” [as defined by the Health Insurance Portability and Security Act (HIPAA)], we will only use or disclose such protected health information in accordance with our Notice of Privacy Practices.
We reserve the right to disclose information, if required to do so by law or by a regulatory authority. We may also disclose information as part of an investigation or enforcement action relating to improper or illegal conduct in connection with the WellSpan online platforms.
The cookies we place are for storing information about your visit to our online platforms. Some cookies are "session" cookies and only last for the duration of your visit. Other cookies known as "persistent" cookies remain on your computer after the end of each session and store information helpful to your experience. WellSpan online platforms utilize both session and persistent cookies. Every computer that accesses WellSpan online platforms is assigned a different cookie.
Cookies do not retain any personal information or protected health information on your computer.
The cookies allow us to access information that we use to improve your browsing experience, such as providing you with customized pages based on your past viewing history on the online platforms. One example of this is location-based listings to show locations and providers near the zip code you’ve provided.
Most web browser software can be set to reject all cookies. If you reject our cookies or otherwise disable the cookie feature on your web browser, certain functions and conveniences of our online platforms may not work properly.
We use analytical tools to collect information about use of our online platforms. These tools collect information such as how often users visit our online platforms, what pages they visit, and what other sites they used prior to coming to this site. We use this information to improve this site.
We do not combine the information collected with these tools with personally identifiable information and have blocked collection of IP addresses to further protect user privacy.
WellSpan Mobile App Location Data
The appointment arrival feature found in the WellSpan mobile app requires background location access. This access allows your phone to notify you to check in when you enter a check in area, even if the WellSpan mobile app is not running. The appointment arrival feature is disabled by default. Users may choose to enable/disable appointment arrival when promoted or in the WellSpan Mobile app account settings.
Your Communication Choices
You may enroll in various services to receive information, typically via email, about WellSpan products or services.
You can unsubscribe to any email service at any time after registration by simply clicking on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email and follow the specified instructions to opt-out.
By creating a MyWellSpan account, you will be added to our mailing list to receive communications from us related to our products and services. In the event you do not wish to receive these communications from WellSpan, please change your communication preferences by editing your MyWellSpan communication profile.
Please note that we may use your information to communicate with you regarding products or services you have requested or purchased on the WellSpan online platforms or related to any transaction made on the WellSpan online platforms like paying your bills or donating. These “transactional” communications will not be subject to your “opt out.”
We have adopted reasonable data collection, storage, and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information.
For example, data exchanged between you and our online platforms, or our third-party service providers, is transmitted over a SSL (Secure Socket Layer) secured communication channel and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures. Except as required by HIPAA, we do not make any representations or warranties of any kind related to the security of the WellSpan online platforms, any third-party site or payment processor’s site, or your information stored on the online platforms. To the extent you provide us with protected health information through the WellSpan online platforms, we will protect and secure your protected health information in accordance with HIPAA’s requirements.
WellSpan maintains partnerships with other companies, not owned by or affiliated with WellSpan Health, to provide certain features and services using co-branded WellSpan online platforms. Examples of these partnerships are employee recruitment, medical equipment sales, PatientWisdom and WellSpan Online Urgent Care. Information, including personally identifiable information, that you provide on one of these co-branded WellSpan online platforms, may be shared with these third-party partners. Since these third parties will use your information in accordance with their own privacy practices, check their websites for information regarding their privacy policies.
Inherent Risk of Using the Internet
Despite our efforts to protect your personal information, there is always some risk that an unauthorized third party may find a way around our security systems or that transmissions of your information over the Internet may be intercepted, and you acknowledge these inherent risks before using our online platforms.
COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act)
WellSpan does not provide content intended for children or knowingly collect personal information from children through the WellSpan online platforms (we define “children” as minors younger than 13). We do not knowingly allow children to communicate with us or use any of our online platforms. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us and we will work with you to address this issue.
Contacting WellSpan about this Policy
Updated April 2021