Visitation of one support person per patient stay is permitted, with certain clinical exceptions of additional support persons.
These visitation guidelines do not apply to patients with COVID-19 or patients who are under investigation (PUI). Visitation is not permitted for COVID-19 positive or PUI patients with the exception of end of life situations or another of the policy’s noted exception categories.
WellSpan Health entity leadership manage exceptions with attention to support assistance needed for those with disabilities or for clinical situations or conversations that the presence of a support person(s) would be important for patient’s understanding or comfort. In all cases exceptions must be healthy individuals who follow the expected mask policy and related entity safety procedures.
Face Masks - All patients, support persons and approved visitors over the age of two coming into our facilities must wear a face mask regardless of COVID-19 status. Each person entering our facilities is encouraged to bring their own mask.
Health Screenings - When entering a WellSpan Health facility, patients and approved support persons are required to complete a health screening, which includes answering questions about their health related to COVID-19. Any support person who screens positive may not enter with the patient. If this support person is with a patient with a physical or mental disability requiring their assistance, the screeners will alert site leadership for assistance.
Emergency Department - One person may accompany a patient to the Emergency Department (ED). If the patient is under the age of 18, both parents if screened healthy may enter or if the patient has a physical or mental disability requiring the support of their care partner, support person after screening healthy is permitted to enter with the patient.
Labor and Delivery, Maternity Patients - Obstetrical patients may have one birth support person accompanying them throughout their admission and care. This person must be ≥18 years of age (unless they are the parent of the baby) and are in good health. In addition, if requested, the presence of a certified doula, in addition to the patient's designated support person, is permitted.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Pediatric Patients - Two healthy parents/guardians will be allowed in the unit at a time and they are approved for the entirety of the hospitalization.
Outpatient Procedures, Surgeries, Testing and Physician Visits - For patients undergoing outpatient surgery, testing, and for patients with a primary care or specialty care appointment, one person may accompany the patient into the facility while the procedure/surgery/test/care visit is being completed. If the patient is under the age of 18 both parents if healthy may accompany or if the patient has a physical or mental disability requiring caregiver support, the support person after screening healthy is permitted.
End of Life - All end of life patients regardless of COVID-19 status who are admitted to any health care unit may have only two support persons allowed into the unit at a given time. A visit from clergy may be considered in these situations.
Behavioral Health Unit - Behavioral Health Unit visitation has specific requirements unique to that service.
Volunteers, Third-Party Vendors, Contractors and Non-Employee Contracted Staff and Deliveries - In addition to visitor restrictions, WellSpan hospitals and care locations are currently limiting entry to individuals deemed essential to provide patient care.
- Patient visitation by a faith community leader is permitted. Faith community leaders will not be considered as the chosen visitor/support person for the patient’s length of stay.
- Volunteers can continue to return in all capacities, including those involved in pet therapy.
- Service dogs are permitted per ADA guidelines. Personal pets of patients are not permitted for visitation.
- Only licensed service animals are currently permitted in WellSpan facilities. No other pets are permitted.
- Only approved and screened third-party vendors are permitted.
- Non-employed contracted staff entering the building to work must follow employee screening.
- Deliveries of food and flowers to patients are to be delivered to designated entrances. Deliveries are accepted from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Hospital staff ordering food delivery must arrange for pick-up of the delivery at an exterior entrance, not in the hospital lobby.
- Food delivery to outpatient locations must be to an outside entrance.
- Visitors permitted based on noted exceptions are limited to visiting only the patient’s location and are not permitted in other traditionally public areas of the hospital or care location (i.e., cafeteria, snack bar).