Asthma Management for Children and Adults
Asthma inflames the airways and can be developed by anyone. Some of the symptoms of asthma include a cough only at night, a “barking” cough throughout the day, shortness of breath, wheezing or tightness in the chest. Many people experience exercise induced asthma and only show symptoms during physical activity or exertion.
Asthma can be developed at any point in your life and people may find themselves exhibiting symptoms as an adult. As is with many health concerns, asthma affects people in varying degrees. Some may find it hard to perform daily activities while others only exhibit signs at specific times with the right triggers.
The first step to breathing easier with asthma is a diagnosis. Your physician will look at your symptoms and determine whether it is asthma or another underlying condition. Once a diagnosis is made your physician will partner with you to create a treatment plan and identify triggers. Your physician may suggest lifestyle changes to reduce your symptoms.
Medications such as inhalers, pills, liquids or injections may also relieve symptoms and may be considered as part of your treatment plan. Learning how to take care of your asthma can be relieving. At WellSpan we are here to help and will provide the education you need to take control of every breath.
Highlights of our program:
- We have a certified asthma counselor who spends two or more sessions with the patient and family to help develop an individualized action plan which helps each person manage their asthma in the most effective manner.
- We have triage nurses who take calls and concerns so we can get back to you as quickly as possible.
- We also use new biologic medications which treat certain tough-to-control asthmatics with injections under the skin and have been shown to dramatically improve many of the most severe cases.
Pediatric Asthma Care
We see asthmatics as young as age 8. Please contact us regarding treating your child with asthma. Our pediatric asthma specialists can help your child cope with symptoms and manage their conditions.
Helping kids manage their asthma symptoms allows them to generally remain healthier and participate in school and favorite activities with fewer absences.
How We Can Help
WellSpan has developed an Asthma Education program to help patients manage their asthma by instructing them on:
- Recognizing potential asthma triggers
- Use of the peak flow meter
- Purpose and proper use of respiratory medications
- Breathing techniques
- Asthma flare ups
- Self monitoring
- Using an asthma action plan
Asthma education is open to all individuals with asthma and to parents of children with asthma. For more information about the program talk with your primary care physician or call (717) 741-8177.
Distances are estimated from zip code: 17401. Update zip code