Specialized techniques to tackle cancer
Radiation therapy uses electromagnetic waves to precisely destroy cancer cells while preserving surrounding tissue. WellSpan radiation oncologists, physicists and other experts use the most sophisticated technology and techniques to effectively treat cancers while coordinating with other specialists to care for you.
All five WellSpan Cancer Centers across central Pennsylvania offer radiation therapy, making treatment more convenient for you. Radiation treatments may be combined with surgery or chemotherapy. Receiving radiation treatments isn't painful and you can’t see, hear or feel the treatment. Your team works to make the experience as positive as possible and helps you manage any bothersome side effects.
Radiation therapy is used to treat most types of cancer, including:
How We Can Help
WellSpan Cancer Centers offer the latest proven cancer therapies, including:
- Conformal Radiation Therapy: Also known as 3-D radiation therapy, this treatment matches the shape of the radiation beam to the shape of the tumor reducing the surrounding normal tissues' exposure to radiation.
- Partial Breast Radiation: Also called brachytherapy, this therapy can be used after a lumpectomy to kill any remaining cancer cells. We use Mammosite® technology that delivers a targeted dose of radiation and reduces treatment time.
- High Dose Rate Brachytherapy (HDR): This internal radiation therapy delivers radiation from implants placed close to, or inside, tumor(s) in the body.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT): This therapeutic method allows maximum delivery of radiation to the tumor while sparing healthy surrounding tissue.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy: This treatment is a protocol that uses "real-time" imaging to ensure radiation is delivered exactly to the prescribed site.
- Prostate Seed Implants: Appropriate for certain patients with prostate cancer, this therapy involves placement of radiation sources into the prostate. Also called prostate brachytherapy, it is very successful for certain patients. WellSpan physicians have performed more than 500 of these procedures.
- Prostate SpaceOAR: This device can be used in men receiving radiation therapy for prostate cancer by reducing the chance of rectal damage.
- Proton Therapy: Also called proton beam therapy, this procedure uses protons to treat cancerous tissue.
- Radionuclide Administration: This type of molecular therapy is used to treat a specific type of cancer called neuroendocrine carcinoma or neuroendocrine tumors (NETs). This treatment may also be used to treat prostate or pancreatic cancers.
- SAVI® Breast Brachytherapy: This type of radiation delivers radiation directly to the affected tissue, while sparing as much surrounding healthy tissue as possible.
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT): This non-surgical radiation therapy treats functional abnormalities and small tumors of the brain. SBRT can help oncologists preserve more healthy tissue because it delivers highly targeted doses.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS): This therapy is a localized radiation therapy for brain tumors.
Distances are estimated from zip code: 17401. Update zip code