Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women in the United States (Source: National Cancer Institute). Until now, lung cancer was difficult to detect until the disease reached advanced stages. Computerized tomography (CT) lung cancer screening at WellSpan Cancer Centers makes early detection possible — a key factor for lung cancer survival.
Using a low-dose spiral CT scan, which decreases your exposure to radiation, physicians can more easily identify nodules (potentially cancerous cells) when looking at the internal structure of your lungs.
The screening service is now a covered benefit for many health plans, especially if you have a history of smoking.
Know your risk for lung cancer. Visit our online Lung Cancer Risk Assessment and learn what your risk is.
How We Can Help
You may be eligible for low-dose CT screening for lung cancer if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Between the ages of 55 and 70
- Have a history of smoking at least one pack of cigarettes per day for 30+ years
- Still smoking or quit smoking within the past 15 years.
Here’s how to schedule a screening at WellSpan Cancer Centers:
- Obtain a signed order from your physician to undergo a screening. If you don't have a physician, use our physician finder to find a practice accepting patients near you.
- Call 877WCancer (877-922-6237) to schedule your screening.
- Our team will send the results of your screening to the ordering physician.