WellSpan Health report highlights $197.2 million in community benefit
WellSpan Health provided $197.2 million in community benefit to southcentral Pennsylvania, according to the regional health system’s recently released 2017 Community Benefit Report.
The report, titled “It’s What Neighbors Do,” highlights the various ways in which WellSpan has worked to address stated community health needs throughout Adams, York, Lancaster and Lebanon counties.
The health system’s $197.2 million in total community benefit across the region included:
- $15.8 million, which represents the cost to provide free care to patients who participated in the health system’s Financial Assistance Program.
- $19.6 million, which represents the cost to support services that provided discounted medical, dental and pharmaceutical care to people in need.
- $11.1 million in community programs and outreach.
- $150.7 million in costs greater than what was paid to WellSpan to care for Medicaid enrollees.
Behind the dollars are the thousands of central Pennsylvanians who have been impacted by WellSpan’s charitable mission. Some of the noteworthy efforts from 2017 included:
- Assisting 1,773 qualified individuals who lack sufficient health insurance or means to pay for medication with 5,572 prescriptions through WellSpan’s support of Healthy Community Network, which helps community members across central Pennsylvania gain access to care, and through WellSpan’s Prescription for Caring program.
- Providing more than 21,178 dental treatment visits through WellSpan York Hospital’s Department of Dentistry.
- Helping 6,204 employees, neighbors and friends lose a combined 14,300 pounds, through WellSpan’s fifth annual 10 Pound Throwdown weight-loss challenge, which focuses on eating healthier and being physically active.
- Partnering with libraries through the Get Outdoors (GO!) program, distributing more than 14,250 activity booklets to area families who walked an estimated 30,698 miles for the fitness and reading program.
- Engaging community partners to offer community programs such as Healthy Options, York Fresh Farms, and Power Packs that are focused on providing fresh foods, healthy nutrition and the fight against obesity to hundreds of area residents across the region.
“As the only remaining locally based and locally governed health system serving Adams, Lancaster, Lebanon and York Counties, we take our community mission seriously,” said Kevin Mosser, M.D., president and CEO of WellSpan Health. “Our 2017 Community Benefit Report details many ways in which we have worked to fulfill that mission, including the partnerships we’ve forged with other community organizations and leaders who share our vision for a healthier southcentral Pennsylvania.”
Every three years, WellSpan partners with community organizations and local coalitions to conduct Community Health Needs Assessments across the region served by the health system. The assessments enable WellSpan to identify specific community health needs and develop strategies to address them, which are reflected in WellSpan’s Community Health Improvement Plan.
The Community Benefit Report reflects WellSpan’s progress over the past year toward addressing the health priorities laid out in the Community Health Improvement Plan. Those include:
- Ensuring access to care for all, regardless of ability to pay.
- Improving access to behavioral health services.
- Engaging and partnering with others in the community to address key community health needs, including various efforts to combat the ongoing opioid crisis throughout southcentral Pennsylvania.
- Developing prevention and wellness initiatives to improve individual and community health.
More information on WellSpan Health’s 2017 Community Benefit Report and its community mission can be found at www.WellSpan.org/community.
About WellSpan Health
WellSpan Health is an integrated health system that serves the communities of central Pennsylvania and northern Maryland. The organization is comprised of a multispecialty medical group of more than 1,200 physicians and advanced practice clinicians, a regional behavioral health organization, a home care organization, six respected hospitals, more than 15,000 employees, and more than 140 patient care locations. WellSpan is a charitable, mission-driven organization, committed to exceptional care for all, lifelong wellness and healthy communities.