The Gettysburg Hospital Foundation continues to respond to the need for important health initiatives in the community, as it will provide $203,261 in grant funding for the 2022 fiscal year to Healthy Adams County and services of WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital.
While the essential funding will support efforts including food insecurity, children’s health and education, mental health and mindfulness, and important innovations in nursing, it will also impact pediatric services throughout Adams County.
More than 90 pediatric patients across speech, physical and occupational therapies have already benefitted from special toys and equipment.
“When I come to therapy, I get to play with new toys that help me learn and grow.” Said Olive, a 3-year-old who has benefitted from occupational therapy supported through the Gettysburg Hospital Foundation.
The Gettysburg Hospital Foundation’s role is to inspire gifts and grants from individuals, foundations, businesses and other entities to support the health and well-being of people in Adams County and communities in nearby northern Maryland.
“The awards granted this year align with the foundation’s priorities of community benefit as well as education and innovation in health care. It’s heartwarming to see donor dollars put to use in ways that help children like Olive and families in Adams County and northern Maryland,” said Kristin Vought, development director, Gettysburg Hospital Foundation.
These grants extend WellSpan’s mission of providing care for all and support the ongoing work of partnering organizations like Healthy Adams County. Since 2013, the Gettysburg Hospital Foundation has awarded more than $693,000 in grants to support Healthy Adams County.
“The grants we receive from the Gettysburg Hospital Foundation bring much needed relief to the community by helping many to eat healthier, take part in wellness opportunities and address safety concerns,” said Kathy Gaskin, executive director, Healthy Adams County.
Grants allocated by Gettysburg Hospital Foundation will support the following programs and initiatives of Healthy Adams County:
- Healthy Options, Food Access for Seniors and Fruit & Veggie Bucks programs to support healthy nutrition by providing reduced cost of fresh fruits and vegetables to more than 2,000 qualified individuals and families;
- Distribution of child car seats for more than 100 qualified families;
- Stress reduction and mindfulness courses for the community;
- Walking and wellness programs for community residents;
- Cribs for Kids equipment to support healthy newborn sleep practices for qualified families;
- Suicide prevention campaign efforts across Adams County
Grants allocated by the foundation will also fund the following programs and services provided by WellSpan in Adams County:
- Sleep sacks for newborns to help prevent SIDS and promote safe sleep habits;
- Specialized pediatric therapy equipment for the WellSpan Rehabilitation-Herr’s Ridge location with additional funding support by Ability Prosthetics and Orthotics;
- Equipment for nursing training in the simulation center and other nursing support;
- Maternity education equipment
Gettysburg Hospital Foundation is a community-based, not-for-profit corporation. To become a donor or for more information, please contact the Gettysburg Hospital Foundation at (717) 337-4175.