The Medical Laboratory Science Program is a 12-month program for college students sponsored by WellSpan York Hospital. The program typically serves as a student's senior year of college (3+1 option), but applicants with a B.S. degree (4+1) who meet the entrance requirements will be considered as well.
The mission of the program is to prepare individuals at the pre-professional level for the practice of medical laboratory science. The curriculum encompasses not only didactic and clinical activities and experiences, but also the development of professional and leadership skills. The program instills the values of integrity, teamwork, and respect for people and promotes the concepts of life-long learning and fiscal responsibility. The program culminates with the student attaining career-entry competence as a Medical Laboratory Scientist.
To accomplish this mission, the program strives to:
- Provide educational experiences relevant and appropriate to medical laboratory science
- Provide a quality-driven curriculum that is based on current needs and includes the latest testing methodologies and technological advances
- Prepare graduates for certification and/or licensure in medical laboratory science
- Encourage individual personal and professional growth and development to enable them to function in career-entry level positions and allow future professional development
- Broaden community awareness of the profession of medical laboratory science
- Help meet the demand for competent practitioners in a variety of laboratory settings and venues
Class Size and Schedule
Ten students are accepted each year. During the program, students attend classes and participate in various clinical activities. Time is divided between the classroom and the laboratory setting. The academic experience begins in July and continues for 49 weeks. Students routinely attend class and/or clinicals from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. There are no holiday assignments, however, clinical rotations may include an occasional evening or night.
Curriculum activities provide for laboratory skills development and mastery, as well as a knowledge base in medical laboratory science. Acquiring this knowledge and perfecting these skills enables program graduates to function in many laboratory settings—including hospital, physician office, reference, research, forensic and industrial laboratories.
These colleges and universities provide the necessary science prerequisites for the pre-professional program at WellSpan York Hospital and are affiliated with the program at WellSpan York Hospital:
The WellSpan York Hospital Medical Laboratory Science Program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), a professional agency that establishes educational standards for baccalaureate level programs in medical laboratory sciences.
5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018
For More Information
Edwin Beitz, Director-MLS Program
Allied Health Education
WellSpan York Hospital
1001 S. George St.
York, PA 17405-7198
Fax: (717) 851-2934