Application Fee: $30
This fee must be submitted at the time of application.
Matriculation Deposit: $300
This amount is due at the time of acceptance into the program. This fee is nonrefundable and holds your place in the program.
The tuition is for the 12-month program. Payment is divided into two installments; half of the amount is due by the end of July and the remainder is due by the end of January.
General Fee: $350
This expense helps defray the cost of personal safety devices and equipment required for each student, of handouts, and of ASCLS membership. This fee is payable at the start of the clinical year.
Textbooks: Approximately $150
Students may be required to purchase textbooks for use during the clinical year. The program uses an online bookstore for course texts. Many additional reference books are available to students through the medical library and through the program's library.
Room and Board: Variable
Housing is not available at the hospital. Students are responsible for their own housing. Sometimes there are rooms available to rent from laboratory staff; significant savings over getting one’s own apartment. Contact the program director for more details.
Students are able to purchase meals in the hospital dining room.
Students are responsible for their own transportation to all program functions. Some clinical activities take place at other hospital campuses. Transportation to off-campus assignments is the student’s responsibility. When at all possible, students will be assigned to carpool.
Students are required to wear scrub uniforms. The laboratory provides impervious lab coats for students. Appropriate dress guidelines are furnished to those entering the program.
Medical Insurance: Variable
Students are NOT considered hospital employees for purposes of insurance and, therefore, must provide their own health insurance to cover any necessary medical expenses during the clinical year. College seniors may be eligible for campus policies at their own expense. Students accepting employment at WellSpan during the clinical year may be eligible to purchase insurance through WellSpan Health.
Non-residents of the York area may be seen in the Family Practice Center in lieu of a local family physician. Students are responsible for paying any fees related to services provided by the Family Practice Center.
College/University Fees: Variable
Students who are considered college seniors while completing the clinical program are obligated to pay whatever college fees are applicable, even though the students are not on the college campus. Payment of such fees may provide the students certain rights and privileges of the college/university during the senior year.
Certification Examination Application Fee: $240
Payment of the application fee must accompany the student's application to take the Board of Certification Exam. This fee will be due in May, near the end of the clinical year.
ALL FEES SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
Refunds apply to TUITION only. Other fees and charges paid are NOT refundable.
|Week of withdrawal from program
1 or 2
3 or 4
5 or 6
7 or 8
|Amount of Tuition refund
Financial assistance may be obtained from any of the following sources:
- Student's college/university: Contact the Financial Aid Office for information on loans and scholarships.
- J. P. Whiteley Clinical Laboratory Science Scholarship: Scholarship exists to assist a student in the WellSpan Health MLS Program. Awarded annually by the J P. Whitely MLS Scholarship Committee.
- Professional organizations: Awards, scholarships and/or loans may be offered to qualified students.
- Part-time employment: The Department of Laboratory Services may offer evening and/or weekend employment. Job assignments are based on the service needs of the laboratory and the competence of the individual student. Policies governing employment of students are detailed in the student handbook.
- Tuition reimbursement: Students have the option of having WellSpan pay their full tuition - up to $10,000.00 – in return for a 2-year commitment that upon successful graduation from the program they accept a full-time Laboratory Technologist position (Medical Laboratory Scientist) in one of WellSpan’s Laboratories. Once they begin working, they become eligible for an additional $5,000.00 sign-on bonus.
Students may also be eligible for tuition reimbursement through WellSpan Health if they were employees prior to the start of the clinical program and if they continue to work a specified number of hours per pay period while in the program. Contact the Human Resources Department for details.