Vertigo: Staying Safe When You Have Balance Problems
When you have vertigo, you may feel as though you are spinning. This may cause you to lose your balance and fall. There are things you can do to help keep yourself safe. These include taking precautions like wearing low-heeled shoes that fit well and keeping walkways clear of clutter.
How to keep yourself safe
You can reduce your risk of injury when you have vertigo by following these suggestions.
- Avoid driving.
- Avoid working at heights.
- Wear shoes with low heels and nonslip soles.
- Keep your shoes tied.
- Alert family and friends to your condition and how they can help during an attack of vertigo.
- Know whether medicines you take can affect your sense of balance.
- Make your home safer.
- Do not use throw rugs. Try using nonskid mats.
- Install grab bars near the bathtub and toilet.
- Use night-lights.
- Keep floors dry. This will help prevent slipping.
- Store household items on low shelves. This can help eliminate the need to climb or reach high. If climbing is essential, use a step stool with handrails.
- Keep driveways, sidewalks, and interior walkways clear of anything that might cause you to trip.
Current as of:
March 1, 2023
Author: Healthwise Staff
Anne C. Poinier MD - Internal Medicine
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine
Current as of: March 1, 2023
Anne C. Poinier MD - Internal Medicine & Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine & E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine