Top of the page
Alcohol poisoning occurs when a person consumes an excessive amount of alcohol. Alcohol can depress or stop nerve signals that control breathing and the gag reflex that prevents choking; alcohol poisoning is a serious condition that can lead to irreversible brain damage or death if not treated immediately.
Signs of alcohol poisoning include:
The level of alcohol in the blood continues to rise even after a person stops drinking. It can take around 30 to 90 minutes for the alcohol to enter the bloodstream, circulate throughout the body, and cause full intoxication. The amount of time depends on how quickly and how much the person drank along with what else is in the stomach.
Drinking coffee, walking or sleeping it off, or taking a cold shower will not help reverse the symptoms of alcohol poisoning. Immediate medical treatment is always needed if you suspect alcohol poisoning.
Current as of: June 29, 2020
E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine & Christine R. Maldonado PhD - Behavioral Health
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2020 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Make an Appointment
Pay a Bill
For Medical Professionals
Graduate Medical Education
Nursing at WellSpan
Clinical Research Programs
Who We Are
Make a Donation
Connect With Us
Non-Discrimination Statement |
Aviso Contra la Discriminación
© WellSpan Health | Disclaimer & Policies