A toxin is a poison made by living cells or organisms. Toxins can cause health problems on contact or when they are absorbed by the body.
The severity of a reaction to a toxin varies greatly. A bee sting causes a minor reaction in most people. But eating food containing botulinum toxin can cause a deadly reaction. Usually, the severity of the health problem caused by a toxin depends on:
- How often a person is exposed to the toxin.
- How much toxin was in contact with or absorbed by the body.
- How poisonous the toxin is.
Treatment can be as simple as staying away from the toxin and limiting future exposure. In some cases, treatment with medicines can prevent serious illness.
Current as of: February 27, 2023
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine & R. Steven Tharratt MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology & Lesley Ryan MD - Family Medicine