Ways to Comfort a Baby in the Hospital
Try the following comfort measures if your baby is hospitalized.
- Stay with your child, or visit often.
- Hold or touch your child.
This will help your child get well, and it will make you feel better. It will also help you be more comfortable caring for your child when it's time to return home.
- Talk to your child.
- Take some of your child's things to the hospital.
Familiar or treasured objects, such as blankets or stuffed animals, can offer comfort to your child.
- Take some pictures of the family.
Place them where your child can easily see them. Talk about what is happening with other family members, or sing favorite songs.
- Tell the nurses about your child.
Knowing about your child's habits, typical routines, and general preferences can help with care.
- Tell the nurses about any special words that your child may use to tell others what they need.
- Be involved.
Find out whether you will be responsible for any treatments at home.
Current as of:
August 3, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
Susan C. Kim MD - Pediatrics
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
John Pope MD - Pediatrics
Current as of: August 3, 2022