WellSpan Visitor Restrictions
Effective Saturday 3/21/2020, the health system has made the following access changes at its eight hospitals:
- Prohibiting all visitation, with certain clinical exceptions (noted below)
- Suspending all volunteer activities
- Allowing on-site visits from only approved and screened third-party vendors
- Deliveries of food and flowers to patients are to be delivered to designated entrances, deliveries will only be accepted Monday to Friday from 8-4p.m.
- Hospital staff ordering food delivery must prepare to pick up the delivery at an exterior entrance, not in hospital lobby.
These measures are effective at the following WellSpan Health hospitals: WellSpan Chambersburg Hospital, WellSpan Ephrata Community Hospital, WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital, WellSpan Good Samaritan Hospital, WellSpan Philhaven, WellSpan Surgery and Rehabilitation Hospital, WellSpan Waynesboro Hospital and WellSpan York Hospital.
Visitors are not able to visit hospital inpatient areas. Limited exceptions to this include:
- Obstetric patients may have one partner or one birth support person accompanying them throughout their admission and care.
- Nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) patients’ visitors will be limited to parents or legal guardians. Only one of the identified parents or guardians will be allowed in the NICU at a time.
- Minor patients under age 18 may have one visitor at a time, to be only the parent or guardian.
- Patients who are nearing the end-of-life may have one visitor at a time.
- Patients who are mentally incapacitated and require support may have one visitor at a time.
- Visitors are prohibited in the Emergency Department (ED) patient areas. One person may accompany a patient to the entrance of the ED screening location and can either wait in their vehicle or leave the hospital campus until the patient is discharged.
- For outpatients undergoing a procedure, surgery, or test, one person may accompany the patient to the hospital screening location and can wait in their vehicle or leave the hospital campus while the procedure/surgery/test is being completed.
- No one under age 18 (except if that minor is the parent of a patient) is permitted to visit.
- Clergy will be invited to visit end-of life patients at the request of the hospital care team only.
Any patient on the exception list being tested or treated for COVID19 may not have visitors.
All visitors in the excepted categories will be screened at designated entrances before being issued a visitor badge each time they visit.
Outpatient Appointments on Hospital Campuses:
For all outpatient appointments:
- One visitor will be permitted to accompany a patient to facilitate care or treatment such as an ambulatory visit, procedure or same-day surgery. However, patients and visitors must leave the hospital as soon as possible after the procedure or surgery and will be permitted in waiting areas only.
- Children under the age of 18 are not permitted to visit or accompany the patient under any circumstances.
- Health screening procedures at designated entrances will be required in circumstances where a visitor is allowed by exceptions noted
- Please speak with a member of the staff for more information.
All visitors or approved vendors must be screened for symptoms of the COVID-19 disease at our hospital entrances. Only two entrances at each hospital are now available for entry during assigned hours.
Outpatient Appointments at Practice Offices:
- As the number of positive cases of the new coronavirus disease, known as COVID-19, continues to grow across Pennsylvania, it is imperative that we all work together to protect our community – especially patients in our community centers, and protect our staff members.
- WellSpan Health is taking new precautionary measures to help protect the health and safety of our patients, visitors and staff from the spread of the new global coronavirus pandemic.
- This includes a change in our visitation policy.
- All Ambulatory visitors will be prohibited from all WellSpan Community Locations, effective Thursday, March 19.
- For all outpatient appointments:
- Patients may have a single caregiver if needed to allow the visit to occur such as the parent of a minor or the care giver of an elderly patient in a wheelchair.
- All patients and care givers must be screened for symptoms of the COVID-19 disease at our ambulatory site entrances.
- No one under age 18 (except if the patient or the parent of the patient) is permitted to enter WellSpan community sites including in waiting areas.
- Please know that we are committed to ensuring our patients remain connected to their family, friends and loved ones during this challenging time. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you need any assistance in connecting with your loved one.