Numerous barriers—such as culture, education, income, language, race and ethnicity, and lack of insurance—often make it difficult for individuals to obtain needed health care services. By identifying and reducing these barriers, WellSpan Health is committed to meeting healthcare needs by offering preventative health screenings in the community, empowering people to understand and make healthy behavior change, and connecting individuals and families to a medical home.
- Enrollment Services: The WellSpan Health Community & Wellness department provides enrollment services to the community. The services are extended to schools, community organizations and individual families. Community members may call to schedule an appointment with a Community Health Worker (CHW) to receive assistance in completing applications for Medicaid, CHIP and Healthy Community Network. ACHW is located in York County at the Community Health & Wellness office.
- Cardiovascular Programs: The Community Health Workers also plan cardiovascular disease prevention programs for African American and Latino women and men ages 25-64 in York City. African American and Latino women from the community are recruited as lay health leaders and are involved with the planning of this initiative. Through biannual events, the program provides cardiovascular disease prevention education, to women ages 25-64 and screenings for ages 40-64. Assistance with healthcare coverage and help with accessing a medical home will be provided if needed.
- Multiphasic Blood Screenings: Discounted blood screenings are offered in Adams County and northern York County monthly, and for community-based organizations. Blood screenings available are: MBS (chemistry profile and CBC), TSH (thyroid), PSA (prostate) with physician order, and Glycohemoglobin (HbA1c). For more information and location/dates, call (717) 337-4264, ext 1.
- Free Monthly Blood Pressure Screenings:
- Adams County Rescue Mission: 1st Wednesday of each month, 9am-10:30am
- Gettysburg Soup Kitchen, Prince of Peace Church: 1st Wednesday of each month, 11:30am-12:30pm
Call (717) 337-4264. (Press #1 for more information.)