Healthy Living & Chronic Diagnosis Prevention and Management
Offering Programs to Help our Community Live Well
Positive health behaviors and disease prevention and management were promoted in concert with numerous community partners, including but not limited to Capital Blue Cross, local YMCAs and Early Head Start/Head Start programs, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), United Way Franklin County, county health coalitions, county library systems, and OLLI at Penn State York.
Program highlights for fiscal year 2022 include:
- Expansion of the Get Outdoors (GO) program to all of Lancaster County and addition of Cumberland County, reaching thousands of families in six counties. Piloted the program to adults in Cumberland and York counties. Celebrated the 15th year for GO York, including partnering with a local author and artist to create a 15th Commemorative book.
- Integration of tobacco services into our electronic health record system, allowing for better tracking and follow-up for patients.
- Enacted various healthy cooking demonstrations for the community, in partnership with WellSpan Heart & Vascular Center, York.
- Enhanced and partnered with WellSpan Communications, Capital Blue Cross, and YMCA of the Roses for the Winter STREAK program, to 760 unique participants, and cross-promoted select WellSpan service lines and Community Health programming on healthy lifestyle behaviors.
- Supported community-based efforts to address the needs of children with a focus on ensuring a healthy start in life.
- Led Safe Kids Coalition in York County, reaching more than 2,311 residents with child injury prevention programming.
- Supported Cribs for Kids safe sleep program, which provided 120 portable cribs for families in fiscal year 2022.
- Distributed 178 low-cost car seats in fiscal year 2022, ensuring safe rides for children.
- Partnered with the Lincoln Intermediate Unit to host a virtual School Nurse/Counselor Symposium, with 74 participants from across the WellSpan region. Topics included "COVID and our Kids"; "Mental Health Is Health, Period"; "Threat Assessment"; "The Case for Elementary SAP"; and "PAYS & Relationship Building: Building a Community Using Data."