Engaging Volunteers to Support our Efforts
Over 4,000 volunteers contributed nearly 61,000 hours in fiscal year 2022 to support WellSpan's mission. Volunteers continue to help in myriad ways, serving in over 250 different types of volunteer roles including cuddling babies, delivering flowers, making blood donor calls, serving as patient aides and assisting visitors.
Pet therapy volunteers continue to have a positive impact with our patients and WellSpan team members. The pet therapy program has over 54 different breeds of dogs that can be found throughout the organization, sharing cuddles and providing calm and comfort to everyone they visit.
Experience as a WellSpan volunteer continues to inform career decisions. There are nearly 50 teen volunteers throughout the organization with all different types of assignments. Serving with WellSpan teams and assisting patients helps guide and reinforce their decisions to pursue a health care career. Volunteering plays an important role in developing the health care workforce pipeline.
Learn more about WellSpan's volunteer program.
Volunteer Activity Highlights
York Hospital Auxiliary
- Resumed the Book Nook Bonanza sale after suspension for two years due to the pandemic. The final sale saw record admission and sales, and proceeds will be used to support the Auxiliary's grants program.
- Made second-year payment of the $500,000 pledge to the WellSpan York Cancer Center for the “Sunshine Corner Café.”
- Awarded two grants to the WellSpan Heart & Vascular Center and the VNA to support patient initiatives.
- Hosted the 40th Children's Wellness Days in collaboration with the Byrnes Health Education Center, educating more than 2,500 York County third graders virtually on several topics including mental wellbeing and diversity.
- Welcomed three new board members.
- Hosted several vendor sales virtually as well as the first in-person sale since March 2020.
Good Samaritan Hospital Auxiliary
- Purchased $20,000 reclining chairs for families.
- Donated $2,000 to Special Olympics.
- Donated $1,500 to FFA Scholarship.
- Purchased $1,500 of healing pillows for heart patients.
- Gifted a baby swaddle to each baby, to take home and promote safe sleep.
- Donated $500 to Operation Good Sam to feed families and $500 toward Toys for children in need during the holiday season.
Chambersburg Hospital Auxiliary
- Donated $17,468 for the purchase of a bladder scanner.
- Donated $884.90 to Cribs for Kids.
- Donated $729.83 for the purchase of wheelchairs with footrests for rehab.
- Donated $6,000.00 for Patient Support Program.
- Awarded $17,000.00 in scholarships ($1,000 each) to four adults and 13 high school seniors planning careers in the medical profession.
- Continued operation of the Carousel Gift Shop in support of the hospital's mission.
Gettysburg Hospital Auxiliary
- Supported the Sterilis Service Contract, a community program for disposal of needles, with a $2,500 grant.
- Donated $15,500 for the Hanover Cancer Center Healing Garden.
- Continued operation of the Hospital Gift Shop and Thrift Shop – located in downtown Gettysburg – in support of the hospital’s mission.
Waynesboro Hospital Auxiliary
- Awarded $30,000 in scholarships to six high school students planning careers in health care.