Volunteering at WellSpan looked very different during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our in-person volunteering efforts were stopped during this time. Instead, the community — including many of our regular volunteers — responded with sewing masks and performing other socially distanced activities that supported the organization. Time and talents that may have previously been spent within the walls of WellSpan facilities supported the organization and our communities in different ways this year.
Despite the challenging year, 1,901 dedicated volunteers gave 62,806 hours of their time to WellSpan last year.
Learn more about WellSpan's volunteer program
Here are some of the activities completed by our volunteer-led auxiliaries:
York Hospital Auxiliary
- Awarded over $11,600 to York County WellSpan patient programs, including the Wheatlyn Family Medicine Food Pantry, the Nursing Excellence Committee for socks for the homeless and a specialized wheelchair for Rehabilitation Medicine.
- Donated thousands of children's books to the United Way of York, following the cancellation of the 2020 Book Nook Bonanza due to COVID-19.
- Donated $2,500 to LifePath for their continued support and work with the Book Nook Bonanza to assist them with providing turkeys to families in need at Thanksgiving.
- Awarded $2,000 to two Teen Volunteers as part of the 38th annual Geneva Freeman scholarships.
- Educated more than 1,390 third graders about health and wellness at the 38th annual Children's Wellness Day, in collaboration with the Byrnes Health Center.
Good Samaritan Hospital Auxiliary
- Raised $18,000 for the WellSpan Good Samaritan Hospital's holiday toy drive, Operation Good Sam Sleep Bundles for babies and healing pillows for heart patients.
Chambersburg Hospital Auxiliary
- Donated $19,938 to WellSpan Chambersburg Hospital for 20 Patient Transport Chairs.
- Donated $1,950 to WellSpan Chambersburg Hospital for three Patient Privacy Glass Panels for the Rhonda Brake Shreiner Women’s Center.
- Donated $17,930 to WellSpan Chambersburg Hospital for a Respirator Fit Testing Machine for the Epidemiology and Infection Control Department.
- Donated $1,300 to WellSpan Chambersburg Hospital for a Brady Buggy for Pediatric Patients.
- Awarded 10 scholarships to nine high-school students and one adult student in the medical field.
- Continued to support the hospital’s mission through the operation of the Carousel Gift Shop.
Gettysburg Hospital Auxiliary
- Continued to support WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital’s patient experience initiatives, including raising more than $20,000 through the annual Gettysburg Hospital Auxiliary Ball.
- Provided $17,000 to purchase of portable monitors for emergency room patients.
- Provided $63,000 to upgrade the Stress Testing system of treadmills, patient monitors and computers.
- Continued to support the hospital’s mission through the operation of the gift shop and the thrift shop located in downtown Gettysburg.