WellSpan York Hospital Shadowing Program
What It Is:
The goal of the program is to give students the opportunity to observe a professional in a particular field of interest to gain insight into the healthcare work environment and day to day operations. An individual may participate in up to two job shadowing experiences for a total of 2 to 4 hours each.
What It Isn't:
The shadowing program is not a program to:
- Be done in place of an internship
- Fulfill general or clinical school requirements
- Gain employment
Participating Areas of Interest for Shadowing
- Apple Hill Surgical Center (choice of anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, operating room nursing or surgical technologist)*
- Biomedical *
- Dietitian (outpatient)*
- Heart Center (invasive; cath & EP labs or noninvasive; EKG/stress test/echo) *
- Imaging (overview of radiography, ultrasound, computer tomography and nuclear medicine) *
- Laboratory (choice of clinical laboratory scientist, clinical laboratory technician, cytotechnologist, donor center phlebotomist, histotechnician, pathologist assistant, phlebotomist or support services—clerical & specimen processing) *
- Medical Assistant
- Nursing (RN only) *
- Nurse Practitioner *
- Occupational Therapist
- Pharmacist (inpatient-hospital)
- Pharmacist (retail)
- Physicial Therapist
- Physician (2 sessions only: fall and spring)*
- Respiratory Therapist
- Social Worker: Outpatient/clinical *
- Speech-Language Pathologist
*Indicates restrictions apply; see below for more information:
Who is Eligible to Participate?
Students in grades 10 through 12 may participate in the shadowing program. The program is also available to college students and those individuals considering a career change. Please note the restrictions that apply to some departments.
How Does a Student Sign Up?
High school students must work through their guidance counselor who will, in turn, contact WellSpan Human Resources. As soon as scheduling has been finalized, written confirmation will be sent to the guidance counselor. This will contain the name of the contact person and a map indicating parking and where the student should enter the facility.
College students and career change individuals may submit a request form directly by clicking the appropriate the link below:
How Long Does the Shadowing Last?
Depending upon the field of interest, a student can be in a particular area for two to four hours.
Introduction to Becoming a Physician
- Next Date: Thursday, Apr. 10, 2014
During the program, students will meet as a group with physicians to learn about educational requirements, schooling and fields of medicine. Students will also hear from several specialty physicians and visit several hospital departments. This program is available to students in 11th and 12th grades with GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Space is limited. It may be necessary to restrict the number of students per school district to allow all York County high schools to participate.
Severe Weather Policy
In the event of snow or other severe weather, the following procedures will be in effect:
- If classes at the student's school district are canceled, the shadowing experience also will be canceled for the day. The guidance counselor should call to reschedule students.
- If a student's school district has a delayed opening, WellSpan Human Resources will go under the assumption that the shadowing appointment will take place. If the student cannot come in for the appointment, it is the student's responsibility to call WellSpan Human Resources at (717) 851-1675 to cancel the appointment. If the student fails to call and does not come in for the appointment, the student will not be rescheduled.
- If a WellSpan Health department cancels or postpones a shadowing student's appointment, WellSpan Human Resources will try to give a minimum of 24 hours notice to the guidance counselor. These students will be rescheduled.
Shadowing Program Information
- If a student is unable to attend the appointment, the student should ask the guidance counselor to contact WellSpan Human Resources at (717) 851-1675 as soon as possible to so the appropriate personnel can be notified.
- Any student who does not come in as specified, and for whom cancellation has not been made will be reported to his/her guidance counselor. Anyone failing to cancel will not be rescheduled.
- Students will be asked to sign confidentiality statements to protect our patients.
- Appropriate attire is required and comfortable shoes are recommended.
- For patient safety and security reasons, the Shadowing Program is not a "hands-on" experience.
Since the start of our Shadowing Program, more than 8,000 students have previewed a health career in which they were interested. Area students and those desiring a career change have the opportunity to experience a field of their interest.
To allow sufficient time for scheduling your shadowing opportunity, please try to make arrangements for the Shadowing Program at least three weeks in advance.
For further information about the Shadowing Program, please contact WellSpan Human Resources at (717) 851-1675.
WellSpan Human Resources
1135 S. Edgar St., Suite 102
York, PA 17403