Why I chose to pursue a career in medicine:
I was a nurse in Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine for 9 years at LGH, where medical residents encouraged me to go to medical school. I love to figure out what was going wrong with patients and especially emergency cases.
What I want my patients to know about me:
I enjoy working with patients and well trained nurses In the Emergency Dept. and Urgent Care.
I take time to listen to patients which helps focus exam and treatment.
I order x-rays and other tests only if exam and history warrants.
Antibiotics are over prescribed for colds, cough, etc, so I choose only when appropriate.
Encourage natural products with known benefits.
Encourage and model healthy lifestyle.
I keep up to date by attending Emergency Conferences yearly, and other CME activities.
What I do when I'm not seeing patients:
- Organic gardening of fruits and vegetables, then canning, drying or freezing as appropriate
- Reading or listening to audio books
- Hiking, tubing, kayaking or cross country skiing at our cabin along the Tuscarora Creek
- Hosting family and friends at the cabin
- Camping in national parks and traveling in foreign countries