Taking care of your internal sports equipment is just as important as having the latest gear. Strong muscles and healthy bones are built on the components we put in our mouths everyday. Couldn't your performance be enhanced by fueling your body with the right foods?
Many athletes are discovering that training for a sport includes developing a personal nutrition plan.
For athletes to be successful in competition, careful consideration must be given not only to the training program, but to the nutrition choices as well. It does not matter if you are a beginning exerciser or competing in an endurance event, an appropriately designed nutrition plan can contribute to your success.
Registered dietitians (RD) know food. With training in metabolism, food science, medicine, psychology and human physiology this combination makes for an ideal grounding to help enhance your performance through medical nutrition therapy.
A registered dietitian can help an athlete:
- Design a personalized nutrition plan to fuel physical activity
- Calculate amounts of foods and fluids to help avoid consuming too much or too little during practice or competition
- Assess digestion issues and help athletes choose or avoid certain foods which may cause or improve gastrointestinal distress
- Understand the science behind techniques such as carb-loading
- Deal with taste fatigue of supplemental foods (energy bars, sports beverages, etc.)
- Practice adequate intake of food and fluids not just during competition, but just as importantly during practice
- Choose an ideal pre-race or competition meal
- Separate the truth from the hype when it comes to commercial products such as protein supplements.
Unlike some sources of nutrition information, Wellspan dietitians will not try to sell you any type of vitamin, mineral or protein supplement. Our sole intent is to evaluate and design a healthy food plan for you without trying to convince you that you need to spend money on a particular product.
A one-hour consult will include an evaluation of your current food choices, supplement usage, and physical activity. Your RD will then discuss the nutrition components which may be lacking or present in an overabundance in your diet. Recommendations will be provided based on your likes and dislikes, time and financial constraints in order to meet your nutritional needs for your sport.
Just like new sneakers, your insurance plan may not cover medical nutrition therapy for wellness reasons. A medical diagnosis from a physician such as obesity, an eating disorder, anemia, high cholesterol, or diabetes may help increase the likelihood that your nutrition evaluation will be covered. Check with your health insurance company for more information.
For more information or to schedule an appointment please contact us at (717) 851-2942
Sports Team Nutrition Programs
Our staff of dietitians can help your team fuel up for best performance. If you are a coach or a parent who works with a local sports team or organization, you can schedule a nutrition presentation tailored to your athletes. Presentations are typically 30 to 60 minutes and can cover a variety of topics such as nutrition when traveling to sporting events, use of sports supplements and general nutrition for healthy bodies. To set up a presentation please go to the WellSpan Speakers Bureau, or call (717) 851-2424.