Lung Cancer Screening
Can This Screening Make a Difference for Me?
Until now, lung cancer was difficult to detect until the disease reached advanced stages. This new screening makes early detection possible, a key factor for lung cancer survival. Using a low-dose spiral CT scan, which decreases your exposure to radiation, physicians can more easily identify nodules (potentially cancerous cells) when looking at the internal structure of your lungs.
Am I a candidate for a CAT scan lung cancer screening?
You are eligible to be a screening candidate if you are:
- Between the ages of 55 and 80, AND
- Have a history of smoking at least one pack of cigarettes per day for 30 years, AND
- Are still smoking or stopped within the last 15 years
How to schedule a screening
- All patients must have a signed physician’s order to undergo a screening.
- Appointments for a screening can be scheduled by calling 1-855-LNG SCRN (1-855-564-7276).
- Results of the screening will be forwarded to the ordering physician.
- Please contact your insurance company to see if this test is a covered service.
- If not covered by insurance, the fee for the screening is $100.
- Payment by credit card is required when appointment is scheduled through WellSpan York Hospital Imaging Scheduling Center.
- FREE Tobacco cessation counseling/program is also available. In Adams County call (717) 338-3259 and in York County call (717) 851-5857.
For additional information, please call (717) 339-2640 in Adams County or (717) 741-8100 in York County.
Facts about lung cancer in the United States
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women.
- More than 226,000 new cases of lung cancer will be diagnosed this year.
- More than 160,000 people will die from lung cancer this year.