WellSpan employs a full complement of board-certified, fellowship-trained medical oncologists and fellowship-trained surgical oncologists and gynecological oncologists who specialize in the following services:
WellSpan cancer centers offer the latest proven cancer therapies, including:
- Partial Breast Radiation, including Mammosite® and external beam protocols in collaboration with Johns Hopkins.
- Conformal Radiation Therapy, which shapes the radiation beam to match the shape of the tumor, to reduces radiation to normal tissues around the tumor thereby decreasing exposure to radiation.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy, which allows maximum delivery of radiation to the tumor, while sparing healthy surrounding tissue.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy, which uses "real-time" imaging to insure radiation is delivered exactly to the prescribed site.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery, a localized radiation therapy for brain tumors.
- Prostate Seed Implants, a protocol appropriate for certain patients with prostate cancer, this therapy entails placement of radiation sources into the prostate. This therapy has been highly successful in carefully selected patients. WellSpan physicians have performed over 500 of these procedures.
- Sentinel Node Surgery: Surgeons at WellSpan were intimately involved in the development of this technique in a nationwide clinical trial and more than 2,000 patients have undergone sentinel node operations at WellSpan facilities. Candidates for this type of surgery include patients with some types of breast cancer and certain patients with malignant melanoma.