Books for Children About Death & Grief
We do not always understand death ourselves, so explaining it to a child can be challenging. Below is a list of books that may help you work through this sometimes difficult and sensitive topic.
If you need further support or information, please call us at (717) 851-3467.
- Boulden, J. (1989). Saying Goodbye. Santa Rosa, CA: Author.
- Brown, M.W. (1958). The Dead Bird. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Buscaglia, L. (1982) The Fall of Freddie the Leaf: A Storm of Life for All Ages. Thorofare, NJ: Slack. All ages.
- Calstrom, N.W. (1990) Blow Me a Kiss Miss Lilly. Harper & Row. Ages 4-8.
- Clardy, A.F. (1984) Dusty Was My Friend: Coming to Terms with Loss. New York: Human Sciences.
- Clifton, L. (1983) Everett Anderson's Goodbye. NY: Henry Holt & Co. Ages 5-12
- DePaula, T. (1973) Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs. NY: G.P. Putnam's Sons. Ages 4-9.
- Dodge, N.C. (1984) Thumpy's Story: A Story of Love Shared by Thumpy, the Bunny. Springfield, IL: Prairie Press (P.O. Box 699B, 62705).
- Hammond, J.M. (1980) When My Mommy Died. Ann Arbor, MI: Cranbrook Publishing Co.
- Hammond, J.M. (1981) When My Dad Dies: A Child's View of Death. Ann Arbor, MI: Cranbrook Publishing Co.
- Hazen, S. (1985) Why Did Grandpa Die? Golden Brook. Racine, WI: Western Publishing Co.
- Heegard, M.E. (1986) When Someone Very Special Dies. Minneapolis: Woodland Press (99 Woodland Circle, 55424).
- Herriot, J. (1986) The Christmas Kitten. NY: St. Martin's Press.
- Krementz, K. How It Feels When a Parent Dies. NY: Alfred Knopf. Ages 7-16.
- LeShan, E. (1976) Learning to Say Goodbye When a Parent Dies. NY: Macmillen.
- Madler, T. (1980) Why Did Grandma Die? Milwaukee: Raintree Children's Books.
- Maple, M. (1992) On The Wings of a Butterfly.
- Mellonie, B. and Ingpen, R. (1983) Lifetimes. NY: Bantam Books. Ages 3-10.
- Munsch, R. Love You Forever. Firefly Books.
- Nunn, R.O. Tom's Remembrance. Westphalia Press.
- O'Toole, D. (1988) Aarby Aardvark Finds Hope. Burnsville, NC: Mountain Rainbow Publications. All ages.
- Powell, E.S. (1990) Geranium Morning. Minneapolis: Carolrhoda Books.
- Prestine, J.S. (1987) Someone Special Died. Los Angeles: Price, Stern and Sloan.
- Richter, E. (1986) Losing Someone You Love: When a Brother or Sister Dies. NY: G.P. Putnam's Sons.
- Romond, J.L. (1989) Children Facing Grief: Letters from Bereaved Brothers and Sisters. St. Meinrad, IN: Abbey Press.