Colonoscopy Preparation for Afternoon Procedures
You should have only clear liquids the entire day prior to your colonoscopy.
Preparation for colonoscopies scheduled after 12 p.m.:
- Take two Dulcolax Laxative tablets (not the Dulcolax stool softener) about 2-3 hours before starting the Gatorade/Miralax preparation.
- The Miralax (8.3 oz. bottle) should be mixed with a 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade. You need to start drinking the Gatorade/Miralax between 4-6 p.m. the day before your procedure. Drink one 8 oz. glass every 15-20 minutes until you have completed ¾ of the mixture.
- You should not mix the Miralax with any red or orange flavored Gatorade or Power Aid as this will cause a discoloration with your colon and could be misinterpreted as blood.
- On the morning of the procedure, you will need to complete drinking the remaining ¼ of the mixture by 7 a.m.
- If you are diabetic, you should use Power Aid Zero instead of Gatorade.
If your return is not yellow colored or clear after taking the entire preparation, please call our office for further instructions. Our doctors are also on call after office hours and can be reached if there are any problems.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT MIRALAX AND DULCOLAX LAXATIVE TABLETS ARE NOT PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS AND CAN BE PURCHASED OVER THE COUNTER.