Participating in the WellSpan York Hospital emergency department groundbreaking, from left to right, are David Vega, MD, emergency department physician and chairman; Jolene Biesecker, president, York Hospital Auxiliary; Jeffrey Lobach, vice chairman, York Health Foundation board of directors; Keith Noll, president, WellSpan York Hospital and senior vice president, WellSpan; Dan Waltersdorff, president, WellSpan York Hospital board of directors; and Rick Seitz, president, Alexander Builders.
Special features will enhance the patient experience
WellSpan York Hospital held a groundbreaking for its new emergency department on Thursday, Aug. 7.
WellSpan staff members, board members and community leaders were on hand for the groundbreaking.
Construction has begun on the project which will provide patients with a private, patient-centered care experience.
The hospital’s current emergency department cares for nearly 78,000 patients per year in a facility designed to treat around 50,000.
The emergency department will continue to care for patients seven days a week, 24 hours a day during the renovation and construction.
Once the approximate 46,000-square foot project is completed in 2017, patients will experience less waiting time and more timely care, thanks to a larger facility and more efficient processes.
Special features of the hospital’s new emergency department will include:
- Private patient care environment
- Fully dedicated treatment area for patients with minor injuries and illnesses
- Dedicated patient treatment areas for pediatric, cardiovascular, orthopedic and behavioral health patients
- Multiple work pods for staff and providers, hospitalists and specialists for clinical staff efficiency
- Improved patient support facilities
- Improved presence of financial counselor, registration and checkout areas for patients
- Patient/visitor amenities
- Pediatric waiting area
Efforts of the York Health Foundation will play a significant role in providing funding resources for specific areas of the project.
To date, the foundation has raised $1.7 million toward its $3 million goal. Emergency department physicians have raised $47,000 in memory of Dr. Noelle Rotondo.
For updates on the WellSpan York Hospital Emergency Department construction project, go to the www.wellspan.org.