Nursing administrator has made innumerable contributions over the years
“I was surprised and excited when they called my name as the winner of the Nightingale Award in the Nursing Administration/Executive category,” said Kris O’Shea, vice president, nursing practice and clinical informatics, WellSpan.
O’Shea earned one of the top nursing honors in the state at the Nightingale of Pennsylvania Awards dinner held Friday, Oct. 25, at the Radisson Penn Harris Hotel in Camp Hill.
“It was a very special night,” added O’Shea, who was surrounded by nursing colleagues from WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital, WellSpan leaders and her family.
Although O’Shea has compiled a long list of accomplishments and achievements during her 25-year career at WellSpan, she faced stiff competition.
“The other two nominees were highly qualified and their accomplishments sounded wonderful,” said O’Shea. “It was certainly an honor to be chosen the winner in a statewide competition.”
“I am thrilled that Kris won,” said Valerie Hardy-Sprenkle, vice president, acute care nursing practice, WellSpan.
“As there is only one winner in each category in the state, this is a significant honor and award. Kris has had an extremely strong career at WellSpan. She has made innumerable contributions to nursing practice, patient care and our health care organization.”
Cheryl Hale, clinical director of process improvement and patient safety, WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital, added, “Kris has an uncanny ability to connect the dots on various issues and to help people understand the big picture. She frequently points out how we can work better as a team for our patients.”
Hale also praised O’Shea’s work on the electronic health record, showing how it can support the care of patients, make care more effective and enhance decision making.
Marlene Crouse, nurse manager, outpatient services department and post anesthesia care unit, WellSpan Gettysburg Hospital, said, “Kris represents nursing’s commitment to improving patient care outcomes and exemplary health care practice.”
WellSpan Nightingale Award Winners
- 2013—Kris O’Shea, Nursing Administration
- 2012—Connie Gutshall, Nursing Administration; Claudia Shermeyer, Patient’s Choice
- 2011—Bonita Trapnell, Nursing Administration; Jodi Arnold, Patient’s Choice
- 2010—Astrid Davis, Nursing Administration
- 2008—Linda Pugh, Nursing Research
- 2005—Cherylyn Strickhouser, Clinical Practice LPN; Rhada Hartmann, Clinical Practice RN
- 2004—Joann Smith, Clinical Practice RN
- 2003—Dianne Moore, Advanced Practice RN
- 2002—Diane McElwain, Advanced Practice RN
- 2000—Henry Blymire, Clinical Practice LPN; T. Nicole Grim, Clinical Practice RN
- 1997—Connie Sixta, Nursing Administration
- 1995—Barbara Buchko, Advanced Clinical Practice