Each recipient receives $2,500
Mary Fortney and Stephanie Workinger of Human Resources agree that Bev Malloy would be proud of the recipients of the nursing scholarships named in her honor.
Bev was a dedicated nurse, nurse recruiter and community servant for more than 40 years. She touched thousands of lives through her joy, kindness, compassion and love.
“This is more than a nursing scholarship,” offered Workinger. “It’s about capturing the spirit Bev demonstrated.”
Fortney added, “Bev could connect with people, regardless of who they were. She was the kindest person I have ever known.”
Fortney and Workinger were part of the scholarship selection committee. This year, three Bev Malloy Memorial Nursing Scholarships for $2,500 were awarded.
The recipients are: Emily Smith, a recent graduate of Dallastown High School who also works in Food Service; Michele Chronister, a clinical nurse in the lactation center; and Alaina Szocik, a nursing student at York College who also works in the NICU as a unit secretary/nursing assistant.
Comments about Emily:
- “She is always among the first to consider the needs and feelings of others. She is sweet to all.”
- “She has demonstrated capacity in leadership; effective and dependable.”
- “A potential career in medicine unequivocally fits well with Emily’s exceptional medical interest and insight, her high level of intelligence, her dedicated pursuit of her dreams, and her pleasant, confident demeanor.
Comments about Michele:
- “Michele’s soft spoken and gentle manner has calmed and encouraged countless new mothers and fathers. Her professional demeanor encourages a sense of trust and her compassion when dealing with uncertainties and frustrations gives fresh hope and new perspective on a daily basis.”
- “Her personality and behavior reflect the joy, kindness, compassion and love evident only in a true passion to help others.”
- “The relationships Michele has built with co-workers, patients, and patients’ families are evidence of not only the clinical knowledge and skills she possesses, but also of the kindness and compassion that is inherent in her.”
Comments about Alaina:
- “Alaina is a bright, energetic, caring young lady. She is committed to being the best RN she can be.”
- “Alaina spent a great deal of time with all of her patients. Her compassion, caring and kindness was at a level that I rarely see in a student.”
- “She is truly a remarkable young lady who exudes a kindness that is genuine and infectious. She always presents herself with a broad smile, a joyful demeanor and a sincere interest in helping others. She is a unique individual who truly can light up a room with her smile and the warmth in her heart is immediately apparent.”