WellSpan Home

Health Library

Doctors and Specialists

Who treats conditions of the spine, shoulder, and pelvis?

Conditions of the spine, shoulder, and pelvis may be treated by your doctor or other medical specialists and healthcare providers. Several doctors from different specialties may be involved your care. This is important in managing the symptoms of a condition, especially because some symptoms are chronic or may change in severity over time. Some of the more common medical professionals involved in the treatment of spine, shoulder, and pelvis conditions may include the following:

Primary care doctor

A primary care doctor has specialized education and training in general internal medicine, family practice, or another first-level-of-care area. Primary care doctors provide the following:

  • Routine healthcare (including annual physical exams and immunizations)

  • Treatment for acute medical conditions

  • Initial care for conditions that may become more serious or chronic

While your primary care doctor may treat and diagnose your disease, he or she may refer you for more specialized treatment of certain aspects of a disease.


Neurology is the branch of medicine that specializes in the treatment of disorders of the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. The doctor who specializes in neurology is called a neurologist. After completing medical school, doctors specializing in adult neurology complete 1 year of residency in internal medicine and 3 years of neurology residency.


Neurological surgery is the branch of medicine that provides both operative and nonoperative management of disorders that affect the central and peripheral nervous systems, including their supportive structures and vascular supply, and the operative and nonoperative management of pain. Neurological surgery encompasses disorders of the brain, meninges, skull, and blood supply. The surgeon who specializes in neurological surgery is called a neurosurgeon. Neurosurgeons also do spine surgery for conditions, such as spinal stenosis, herniated disks, and disk degeneration.

Orthopedic surgeon

The doctor who specializes in orthopedics is called an orthopedic surgeon, or an orthopedist. Orthopedists specialize in the musculoskeletal system. This includes identifying and treating an injury, providing rehabilitation to an affected area or function, and advising on how to minimize further damage.

The orthopedist may have completed up to 14 years of formal education. After becoming licensed to practice medicine, the orthopedic surgeon may become board-certified by passing both oral and written exams given by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.

Many orthopedic surgeons choose to practice general orthopedics. Others specialize in certain areas of the body (for example, foot, hand, shoulder, spine, hip, or knee), or in a specialized area of orthopedic care (for example, sports medicine and trauma medicine). Some orthopedists may specialize in several areas and may work with other specialists, such as neurosurgeons or rheumatologists, in caring for patients.


Physical medicine and rehabilitation is also known as physiatry. It, is a medical specialty that involves the process of restoring lost abilities for a person who has been disabled as a result of disease, disorder, or injury. Physiatry provides integrated, multidisciplinary care aimed at recovery for the whole person by addressing the patient's physical, psychological, medical, vocational, and social needs. The doctor who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation is called a physiatrist.


A rheumatologist is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of arthritis and other rheumatic diseases that may affect joints, muscles, bones, skin, and other tissues. Most rheumatologists have a background in internal medicine or pediatrics and have additional training in the field of rheumatology. They are specially trained to identify many types of rheumatic diseases in their earliest stages. This includes arthritis, many autoimmune diseases, musculoskeletal pain, disorders of the musculoskeletal system, and osteoporosis. In addition to 4 years of medical school and 3 years of specialized training in internal medicine or pediatrics, a rheumatologist has had an additional 2 or 3 years of specialized training in the field of rheumatology. A rheumatologist may also be board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine.


Anesthesiology is the medical specialty gives medications to control pain and support life functions before, during, and after surgery. The doctor who specializes in anesthesiology is called an anesthesiologist.

An anesthesiologist has completed 4 years of post-medical school training in anesthesia, in addition to the required 4 years of medical school. Anesthesiologists usually further specialize in certain surgery specialties, such as neurosurgical anesthesia.

Doctors and Specialists - WellSpan Health

Online Medical Reviewer: Dozier, Tennille, RN, BSN, RDMS
Online Medical Reviewer: Ogiela, Dennis, MD
Last Review Date: 2015-11-24T00:00:00
Last Modified Date: 2013-12-02T00:00:00
Posting Date: 2008-11-30T00:00:00
Published Date: 2016-04-13T00:00:00
Last Review Date: 2007-03-30T00:00:00
© 2016 WellSpan Health. All Rights Reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.

Are you sure you would like to cancel?

All information will be lost.

Yes No ×

About the provider search

This search will provide you with WellSpan Medical Group and Northern Lancaster County (Ephrata) Medical Group primary care physicians and specialists. If we don’t have a WellSpan Medical Group physician to meet your criteria, the search will expand to include community physicians who partner with WellSpan Medical Group physicians through the WellSpan Provider Network or provide care to patients on the Medical Staffs of WellSpan’s Hospitals.


Schedule Your Next Appointment Online with MyWellSpan

Use your MyWellSpan patient portal any time to view available appointments, and pick the date and time that best suits your schedule.

Go to MyWellSpan

New to this practice?

If you don't have a WellSpan primary care provider and would like to schedule a new patient appointment with a provider who is accepting patients, just log into your MyWellSpan account, and go to the Appointment Center section. As you progress through the scheduling process, you will be able to see the offices that are accepting new patients in relation to your zip code. If you are not enrolled in MyWellSpan, go to https://my.wellspan.org, call 1-866-638-1842 or speak with a member of the staff at a participating facility to sign up. New patient scheduling not available at all practices/programs.

Already a patient at this practice?

If you already have a relationship with a WellSpan practice, simply log into your account, and go to the Appointment Center section. As you progress through the scheduling process, you will be able to schedule an appointment with any provider or practice that already counts you as a patient. Online scheduling varies by practice/program.