- Preference is given to those with prior unit of CPE
- Graduate Theological Master's degree or equivalent as assessed by the Association of Professional Chaplains Certification guidelines (APC)
- Emotional/Relational capacity for extensive period of experiential learning
- Must be sufficiently healthy to fulfill duties of a major trauma center
- Must be an active member of a recognized religious tradition; may be ordained, licensed, commissioned, religious or laity
- Must be active or have previous experience of spiritual care
- Applicants who are residents of the US and who do not require ACPE sponsorship may apply at any time.
- Applicants must submit a completed ACPE application & any previous CPE units.
- Complete an online Human Resource survey.
- On site interview with one or all CPE Supervisor(s) of WellSpan Health and Professional Consultation Committee members.
- Final decision of acceptance is made by the CPE Supervisor (s).
International applicants are encouraged to review this ACPE link for complete requirements, application deadlines, and forms.
Here is a brief summary of the Department of State.
- Application deadline to WellSpan Health - September 1; Materials to ACPE - January 1
- Only "Trainee" category currently accepted for Residency
- An in-person or web conference interview is required;
- Proof of paid insurance
- WellSpan process
- International applicant is a non-citizen who is applying from outside the United States. All other applicants must adhere to admission procedures. International applicants must submit application materials no later than September 1.
- Please submit all the required materials as indicated on the ACPE application.
- We accept persons applying for Residency who have a Graduate degree in theology, a previous unit of CPE, or experience in Chaplaincy.
- After an assessment of the application and a determination to proceed with the application process, we will send a videotape of interview questions for the international applicant to answer. The international applicant must submit a videotape answering the questions; WellSpan will follow up the submitted video with a phone call.
- Proof of paid insurance is the responsibility of the international applicant; References are found on the above named website.
- Only international applicants who fulfill the above requirements will be considered for CPE Residency.
After receiving a letter of acceptance from the international applicant, an application for J-1 Visa must be completed by January 1.
- International applicants must be in York, PA no later than August 10.
- Applicants should apply as soon as possible and will be notified within ten (10) working day of the status of their application.
- Applicants are accepted according to a nondiscriminatory admissions policy
- The process of selecting applicants is continuous, i.e. based on a rolling admissions policy.
- If offered a position, the applicant will write a letter of acceptance with a non-fundable fee of $200 (except in medical emergency) the fee is to hold the position in the residency program. This is the only fee charged for the residency program.
- International Residents who are required to pay a $100 SEVIS fee for a visa (J-1 requirement as of 9/2004) are only required to pay $100 as an acceptance fee.