Lifestyle habits are the major factors affecting a person's health. Community Health & Wellness provides services designed to increase individual knowledge, skills and confidence to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Our community programs help families make time for healthy choices and stay motivated. Program topics include stress management, active living, healthy eating, weight management and behavior modification. Step-counters, strength bands and in-home walking DVDs are available for purchase to help individuals maintain an active lifestyle. Call the offices for more information.
The Community Health & Wellness team develops and delivers health education programs for individuals, community groups, schools, businesses and WellSpan staff based on health needs. Current health and wellness programs include:
Physical Activity & Lifestyle:
- Steps Toward A Healthy You: Thinking about becoming active and eating healthier, but not sure how to get started? Sometimes taking the first step is the hardest part. This presentation, for adults, will provide you with up-to-date physical activity and nutrition guidelines and answer your questions about how to begin taking steps toward a healthy you.
- A Healthy You: Do you want to lose weight, eat healthy and be active? We can help you! Participants in this program will focus on the skills necessary to be more active every day, choose and eat healthy foods, and reach a healthy weight. Classes are taught by a health educator and dietitian. This program consists of four consecutive classes and a final check-in class. Attendance at the first class is required in order to participate in the program. This program is for adults only.
||Using a step counter and the dietary guidelines for Americans
||The physical activity guidelines for Americans, setting goals, and understanding fats and the food label
||Time management and menu planning
||Overcoming barriers to physical activity and healthy eating
||Beginner strength exercises, dining out, and modifying recipes
- Striving For A Healthy You: This program is designed for people who have completed A Healthy You. Attendees will participate in: a virtual tour across America to increase physical activity; a real tour of a grocery store; a cooking demonstration; and strength training. Problem solving, coping strategies, and stress reduction techniques presented in this program will help you continue to learn and practice the skills you need to eat healthy, be active and reach a healthy weight. Attendance at the first class is required in order to participate in this program.
- Strength Training Made Easy: Improve muscular strength, endurance and range of motion. Decrease your risk for injuries and osteoporosis. Instructors will teach participants an easy-to-learn workout that can be done at home and only takes a few minutes each week. Fee includes an exercise resistance band, instructional brochure and educational handouts. This program is for adults only.
- Stress Less: In this program, participants learn to relax, breathe and adapt to stress. Receive your list of "52 Proven Stress Reducers"—one for each week of the year. Learn to change your attitudes and perceptions when you can't change the world. (FREE)