Safe Kids York
Safe Kids York County is one of more than 300 grassroots coalitions in all of 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico that bring together health and safety experts, educators, corporations, foundations, governments and volunteers to educate and protect families. Safe Kids York County is a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global network of organizations dedicated to preventing accidental injury.
WellSpan Health is the lead agency of Safe Kids York County.
Safe Kids York County
c/o Community Health Improvement
1101 S. Edgar St., Suite FYork, PA 17403
Safe Kids York County, a coalition of public, private, and voluntary organizations, identifies and prevents childhood injuries through education, networking and advocacy. The coalition supports the major risk themes of Safe Kids Worldwide as applicable to local childhood injury needs. (substitute or combine with first prgh?)
To enhance the capacity of childhood injury prevention programs in York County by empowering families and communities to create safe environments in cars, on bikes, and at home.
What We Do
- Car Safety
- Safe Kids Buckle Up Activities - Assist in proper installation and use of child car seat
- Educate and train community members on car safety
- Bicycle Safety
- Safe Kids Ready to Roll - Demonstrate proper riding skills through derbies and educational programs
- Community helmet distribution
- Home Safety
- Falls, Choking, Poisoning, Fires -Provide resource kits to teach home hazard prevention
- Baby Shower Partnerships - Educate expectant and new mothers about crib and home safety
- Provide and analyze home assessment tools from member agencies who conduct home visits in the community
o Direct inquiries on specific injury prevention topics to coalition member agencies that run applicable programs. Calls are made to the Safe Kids Hotline: 1-888-232-SAFE (7233).
- Cribs for Kids - Educate parents on safe sleeping practices to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death syndrome. Helps pregnant women in their third trimester and women who have recently delivered to obtain cribs. Done in collaboration with York Hospital and Childbirth Education. For more information contact York Hospital Neonatology Department (717) 81-CRIBS (812-7427)
- Child Passenger Safety Seat check-ups. Safe Kid partner agencies have certified child passenger safety specialists available to assist you in the correct installation and use of your child's car seat. Call 1-888-232-SAFE (7233) for the location of the car seat check-up site near you.
Activities/Resources for schools, churches, youth groups, agencies:
- Rapid-Response Fire Safety Kit
- Safe Kids "Ready to Roll" - bike safety games or derby materials
- Grandma's House - a home safety game (for all ages)
- Safe Kids "Walk Smart" pedestrian safety materials
- Brochures, Videos, Checklists, and Speaking Points on various safety topics